ROYAL VISITS to TASMANIA

Ross Ewington

ROYAL VISITS to TASMANIA

#1 Post by Ross Ewington » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:40 pm

As there weren't all that many Royal Visits to Tasmania during the 1900 to 1960 period,
there aren't all that many "Royal Visit" cards to be found ....... or so it appears.

For instance, I am yet to see a printed or real photo postcard with a view featuring Queen Elizabeth II when she visited Tasmania during 1954.

Visits by H.R.H. the Prince of Wales (later KEVIII) in 1920 and his brother H.R.H. the Duke of York (later KGVI)
in 1927 appear to have been responsible for the majority of cards that can be collected.

If you have any cards recording a "Royal Visit" to Tasmania, please post some images in this topic.

To start the record,here are two cards that were consigned to me for auction earlier today:
Both cards date from 1920 (with the publisher/printer unidentified) and have the same printed advertisement on the message side.
The H.M.S. Renown was the British warship that brought H.R.H. to our shore.

Mike

Re: ROYAL VISITS to TASMANIA

#2 Post by Mike » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:03 pm

I would agree that the 1920 and 1927 visits generated the bulk of royality postcards.

Real photo bt Beattie. I presume taken in Hobart?

No printers name. I think I have some others from this set, will have a hunt to try and find them.

Real photo Baily

Real photo DIC

Real photo by Baily

Real photo Baily

Not a royal visit card but a great Tassie Royality card. (Trams also)

Reverse side

Mike

#3 Post by Mike » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:04 pm

A few more royal visit cards. Have found 2 more from the Brisbane Hotel Launceston set. Are there others in this set? Do these qualify as advertising cards as well?
The 3 real photo cards are by Vandyck Studio, Launceston. Again, the Brisbane Hotel features in one of them.

Ross Ewington

#4 Post by Ross Ewington » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:12 pm

Just received for auction earlier today this advertising card produced as a souvenir of the visit of the Prince of Wales.

Needs a little research but unfortunately "Trove" in being upgraded so I couldn't sleuth out a few useful details.
bb1547.jpg
bb1547.jpg (165.87 KiB) Viewed 943 times
bb1547a.jpg
bb1547a.jpg (350.96 KiB) Viewed 943 times