N.W. Waterfall on RP PPC by Matthew Brown - whereizit?

Ross Ewington

N.W. Waterfall on RP PPC by Matthew Brown - whereizit?

#1 Post by Ross Ewington » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:17 am

This card (postally used at Devonport West in 1910) is a photo by the respected Devonport W. photographer Matthew Brown.

The correspondent is the young woman in the photo who wrote "see what you missed not coming with us on Sunday".

I know it's difficult because of lengthened exposure time of the photo, but does anyone know the location of these falls?

Peter Allan

Re: N.W. Waterfall on RP PPC by Matthew Brown - whereizit?

#2 Post by Peter Allan » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:40 pm

At a guess its Liffey Falls, but its a long time since I have been there so I'm not completely sure. There would be a number of other possibilities day trip distance from Devonport.

Pete

Ross Ewington

#3 Post by Ross Ewington » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:18 pm

thanks Pete. I found this set of postcards at the State Library of Tasmania showing various falls on the Liffey.

http://images.statelibrary.tas.gov.au/F ... -125422733

unfortunately, none of them appear to be a possible "contender" as the falls on the Brown PPC appear to be quite small.

Mike

#4 Post by Mike » Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:33 pm

Hello Ross

I believe this waterfall is on the Don River at Denny's Gorge or perhaps a little further upstream. Denny's Gorge is located just south of Eugenana. Close to Devonport, in fact only about 6 or 7 kms in a straight line from Devonport. I have 2 cards one by Matthew Brown (dated 27/9/11) real photo, sort of similar to yours, but the river is not in flood. The other card is titled " A favorite picnic resort, The falls, Don River, Melrose Creek between Devonport and Sheffield". Again not in flood but has a group of people sitting on rocks below the waterfall. This could be the same site as your waterfall. Card by Wynphotoprint, York Schmidt & Co Sheffield.

Mike Simco.