T.P.O. covers - discussion, 'theories', 'show & tell', etc

Ross Ewington

T.P.O. covers - discussion, 'theories', 'show & tell', etc

#1 Post by Ross Ewington » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:51 pm

Some of you will have already noted this cover to auctioned soon by a Melbourne auction house.
theoretical tpo cover.jpg
theoretical tpo cover.jpg (81.59 KiB) Viewed 6646 times
Estimated at $130, the describer indicates that this cover supports a theory that the TPO No.4 was used on the Western Line and TPO No.3 on
the Launceston/Hobart mainline. It also suggests that the railway passed through Cressy whereas the closest railway station is actually at Longford
which is nearly 20kms to the north

To the best of my knowledge, all mail despatched from Cressy at the time (other than items for local delivery) would have been sent to Longford; sorted on a Western Line
TPO (which used the T.P.O. No.4 cds); transferred to a southward bound TPO on the mainline (which used the T.P.O. No.3 cds) and then forwarded to Campbell Town.

The use/locations of the No.3 and No.4 cds datestamps have been recorded for many decades (see the "Green Books" - Part I, page 158 and Part II, page 138)
so if there is a 'theory', I've never heard of one.

It is possible that other examples could be found without much effort and the only reason that they haven't been recorded is that they are in the
"no big deal" department.

Is this a case of "never let the facts get in the way of a good story"* or have I missed something here? ..... either way, what do you think?

* I am not implying that the describer has 'gilded the lily' here but has unfortunately repeated the 'theory' of the previous owner(s) as provided in a write-up
on the album page on which this cover may have previously resided.

Jerry Weirich

Re: T.P.O. covers - discussion, 'theories', 'show & tell', e

#2 Post by Jerry Weirich » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:49 am

The attached cover has a TPO No 3 backstamp outbound from Campbell Town to Oatlands. I don't know if this cover adds anything to the discussion but it is the only cover I have with a TPO3 marking. I'll let you tell us if it is related. Thanks, Jerry
TPO_3_Campbell-Oatlands.jpg
TPO_3_Campbell-Oatlands.jpg (45.45 KiB) Viewed 6536 times
TPO_3_Campbell-Oatlands_Back.jpg
TPO_3_Campbell-Oatlands_Back.jpg (49.55 KiB) Viewed 6536 times

Ross Ewington

Re: T.P.O. covers - discussion, 'theories', 'show & tell', e

#3 Post by Ross Ewington » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:17 pm

thanks Jerry .... I am certain there are lots more covers out there that travelled on the Hobart/Launceston line with this TPO transit backstamp.

I'm still wondering what the "theory" is mentioned in the above auction description! ;)