Pre WW1 military camps in Tasmania

Gary Diffen

Pre WW1 military camps in Tasmania

#1 Post by Gary Diffen » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:33 pm

Hi

I am looking to find information on the Pre-WW1 Easter military camps in Tasmania.

I understand that there were camps at Ross (Mona Vale?) from about 1895 to 1914. Can anyone provide me with the dates of each of the camps over the years? Was Ross the only Easter camp?

This information will be incorporated in an article for Philately from Australia.

Looking forward to your help

Regards

Gary

admin
Site Admin

Re: Pre WW1 military camps in Tasmania

#2 Post by admin » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:12 pm

Gary,
I dont think many if any Postal history collectors would have this information as I cant see that its relevant to the openings and closings of any Military Post Offices in Tas, canceller etc.
However try searching Trove for " Hobart Mercury", "Easter Military Camps" and you will find quite a few results which seem to show there was in fact one or more regular Easter Military camp over a number of years befor 1914. I expect you could build a reasonable picture if you are prepared to spend some time searching through results.
For instance, in 1906 the Mercury reports all Militia or partial paid troops have to serve between 4 and 8 days in camp or bivouac per year. On 13-20 April a Camp was planned for Mona Vale ( near Ross, and I think sometimes referred to as the "Ross Military Camp" ) However, there were also camps planned for Fort Alexandra near Hobart for Hobart-based troops, also at Kingston and Ulverstone. See http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article ... lability=y

The one on April 13 1911 was at Ross - see : http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article ... lability=y . It seems in this case the main line railway provided the transportation for some 10 truckloads of equipment. Perhaps the availability of the railway was a significant factor in the location of this camp. Mona Vale was also the location for more substantial WW 1 troop training Camps and cancelers exist for Military Post Offices located there.

Pete

Gary Diffen

Re: Pre WW1 military camps in Tasmania

#3 Post by Gary Diffen » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:49 pm

Thanks for your help Pete. I will have a look tomorrow in trove......which is where I expect to find the information for New South Wales and Queensland as well....