1st mail between Launceston & Hobart

Sharon

1st mail between Launceston & Hobart

#1 Post by Sharon » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:08 pm

My father told me one of my ancestors was the first to carry mail on horseback between Launceston and Hobart. This is feasible given my long family histoy in Tasmania. He has passed away, so I'm unable to ask him about this again. Does anyone know who it was?

Peter Allan

Re: 1st mail between Launceston & Hobart

#2 Post by Peter Allan » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:04 am

Hi Sharon and welcome to the Board. Maybe we can make a stamp collector or postal historian out of you :)
I see in the book Tasmania, The Postal History and Postal Markings , by Campbell, Purves and Viney 1962, p 5, that on 23 October, 1816, Robert Taylor was appointed Government messenger between the two settlements of Hobart and Launceston , leaving Hobart Town and Launceston every alternate Sunday. However, this service was undertaken on foot as there was initially no road, carying the mail in a leather sack and carrying a gun as protection from bush rangers and Aborigines. By 1822 there appears to be whats described as a High Road, and the trip was taking 5 days rather than the initial 7. A formal Post Office system was established in 1832 with a Mr J T Collicot as the Principle Post Master. I cant see where the method of transport changed to horse, however, which may be what you want to know. The early mail carriers were apparently known as Government Messengers and were often convicts, and later this service seems to have been let under tender so private individuals could bid for the work.
If you have any names, I may be able to find a reference somewhere.