Macquarie River

bill

Macquarie River

#1 Post by bill » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:08 pm

A number of references to Macquarie River exist in the literature on Tasmania.

For a start, cancellations for Macquarie River are listed in Hardinge's recent book
on datestamps for Tasmanian post offices. Also, Macquarie River features among
the places that are believed to be associated with the rarer roulettes on Chalons.
(See the Gibbons catalogue and also Chapter 4 of Tinsley's book on the stamps of
Tasmania, published in 1986 for details of these roulettes.)

It would be nice to know where Macquarie River is located (or used to be). My
copy of C.J. Dennison's book "Where in Tasmania?" does not help. Would there
be someone on the BB who would know?

Bill

admin
Site Admin

Re: Macquarie River

#2 Post by admin » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:58 pm

Bill, the Macquarie River is the main waterway flowing through the Northern Midlands of Tasmania and is a tributary of the South Esk.
To be honest I am not sure of the exact location of the Post Office so named, but I believe it was on one of the early Land Grants to Mackersley(who was an early Post Master). By 1834 the Postmaster was Gatenby who also was a land owner with a grant on the river.
The Post Office is recorded as being 85 miles from Hobart Town. Ross was 72 miles and Campbell Town was 79 miles from Hobart (Basset Hull). In other words, Macquarie River was 7 miles north of Campbell Town, and on the River. The main Road did not follow the River but passed to the East.

Like a number of early POs in VDL, Macquarie River refers to a region rather than a town. The Post Office was listed in the 1824 list and the 1832 PO list. Nearby Post Offices were Lake River ( again, a district rather than a specific location ) and Campbell Town. Ross and Campbell Town were on the Main Road from earliest times but Macquarie River was off the main Road , which did not follow the Macquarie River but traversed to the East of it after crossing at Ross.
It was an interesting office in that there is an early private handstamp as well as a local numeral obliterator, a sans serif "4" .
There is nowhere called 'Macquarie River" now in Tasmania, except the River itself.There is no town as such.
A bit of searching might uncover the exact location of the Mackersley property but I have not been able to find it.

I may have this wrong and any corrections are welcome

The attached extract from an early map might help.I have added the titles "Macquarie River " and "Campbell Town" with a red dot to show the locations.The location of Macquarie River is an approximation, and is around 7 miles from Campbell Town.
Map-Macquarie-River.jpg
Map-Macquarie-River.jpg (278.55 KiB) Viewed 9859 times

Malcolm Groom

#3 Post by Malcolm Groom » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:08 pm

I believe that the hand stamp '4' was used at Macquarie Plains not Macquarie River.

I was almost going to suggest that Ross and Macquarie River were connected but Admins research is far more convincing

admin
Site Admin

#4 Post by admin » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:59 pm

Ooops. Malcolm's correction about the numeral "4" handstamp is right.
In the early PO listings we have Ross, Macquarie River, Lake River and Campbell Town with distances in miles between each one so it seems that they were seperate locations, even though Ross is right on the Macquarie River. The mileage between Post Offices was published to assist with Rates calculations as postage was based both on weight and distance.
Pete

bill

#5 Post by bill » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:15 pm

Many thanks to 'admin' and Malcolm for their replies.

It appears that Macquarie River was north of Ross but south of Campbell Town.
A motoring atlas I have shows Campbell Town and Ross on the Midland Highway
that connects Hobart to Launceston. However, Macquarie River might not have
been on the exact course taken by the highway but probably was fairly close by,
even if its exact position is now lost in the mists of time.

How large a population did the Macquarie River PO serve? We are told of some
rouletted Chalons that are attributed to Macquarie River so we might expect a
population of some hundreds of people nearby to warrant the effort to roulette
these stamps. Perhaps someone could shed more light on this matter. There is
even a cancellation or two for that PO.

Bill

admin
Site Admin

#6 Post by admin » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:26 pm

Bill,
I may have mis-calculated the location of the Macquarie River PO by a few miles and will post a revised map and details.Its more likely North of Campbell Town but still on the River and some miles West of the current Main Road.
There were two more or less parallel roads from the 1820s onwards, one close to the River from Ross heading north and one wide of the River more to the East. The road to the East of the river became the main road but there is still the old route close to the River where the MAcquarie PO was located. This road would be shown on current maps. This district was made up of land grants all with River frontage.
If you can advise what dates you are interested in it may be possible to find PO salaries for the Macquarie River which would give a rough idea of the size of the office. I think finding population figures would be difficult.

Pete

bill

#7 Post by bill » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:59 pm

It would be nice to know where Macquarie River and its PO are (or used to be)
and its approximate location relative to the Midland Highway and towns close
to Macquarie River, e.g. Ross, Campbell Town. A map or two may help.

One period of special interest is 1860-1871. In part of this period, rouletted
stamps are believed to have been issued at the PO (see Gibbons, Tinsley) so
some idea of PO salaries and/or turnover may help, especially in comparison
to larger towns like Launceston, Devonport, Burnie for instance.

There is the possibility that Walch's Almanac may give population figures for
the larger towns and cities but this might take a lot of effort. So it's easier
to start with what you already have.

Bill

admin
Site Admin

#8 Post by admin » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:09 pm

A little more digging reveals that Macquarie River was around 6-7 miles to the north of Campbell Town.
Bassett Hull, 1890 and Gazette notices give distances from Hobart as follows:
Ross - 72 miles
Campbell Town - 79 miles
Macquarie River - 85 miles.

I think the district was along the Macquarie River itself - there were properties all along the river both North and South of Campbell Town.
Postal records show annual salaries for Post Masters in 1871 and 1872 range between £50 per annum and £10 per annum, not counting Hobart and Launceston. These salary figures were based on levels of business and income to the Post Office so do give an idea of relative volumes of mail.
The PM at Macquarie River received £20 per year while Campbell Town was at the top of the range at £50. Ross was also receiving £50, Lake River and Cressy £15 each.

I have amended the map in my initial post and edited the text to correct the statement location of Macquarie River which I originally thought was south of Campbell Town.
Pete

bill

#9 Post by bill » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:27 pm

Pete

This extra information is helpful. Thanks for an improved map. It is now
reasonably clear where Macquarie River was located. For a comparison,
are you able to say what the PM at the main Launceston PO was paid?

Bill

admin
Site Admin

#10 Post by admin » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:27 pm

Bill, the Salaries for Launceston average around £108 per month but this included messengers and clerks.There were no Town deliveries in Macquarie River as there were in Launceston. The offices are not necessarily directly comparable. For instance Macquarie River was not a Money Order office at the time while Launceston certainly was. Launceston was also a Telegraph Office but I doubt, but am not sure that Macquarie River offered Telegraph services.

Pete