FREE LOCAL MAIL !!

Mike

FREE LOCAL MAIL !!

#1 Post by Mike » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:41 am

At first glance this postcard looks rather ordinary. However after closer look I found it rather interesting. This card was posted at Bishopsbourne (nice strike) on 13/4/08.

It is addressed to Miss Hoskins P.M. (post mistress) Hadspen (1899 - 1912). I thought that it was rather strange that there is no stamp or tax markings. After a close look I found no evidence that a stamp had been removed or fallen off. The message was written by Amy Markby who appears to be the assistant Post Mistress at Bishopsbourne (Green Book part 11 page 156) to Miss V.J.Green in the 1908 to 1909 period. Amy Markby was the next post mistress of Bishopsbourne, 1910 - 1912.

An interesting part of the letter is quoted,

"Do you ever go relieving while your sister is away? Have you another sister who can do the office work? Miss Green wants someone to take Somerset Office for a few weeks. Miss McBain wants to go home and Miss G (Green) is hardly strong enough to go herself yet. She wrote and asked me if I knew of anyone who would go. Do you know of anyone?" Miss Green is listed as as post mistress at Somerset during 1909 - 1912. I have not found out how Miss McBain fits in.

My question is

As no postage was paid, is this an example of "official" correspondence between Post Office employees or is it an example of employees using the system for a freebie? Note that Hadspen is only about 17kms away from Bishopsbourne so this postcard probably did not "go" through a major post office.

Your comments and ideas please.

bis.jpeg
bis.jpeg (225.25 KiB) Viewed 1706 times

David McNamee

Re: FREE LOCAL MAIL !!

#2 Post by David McNamee » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:57 pm

I have a registered envelope addressed from the Woodsdale postmaster to the Hobart Money Order Office with a great originating c.d.s. but no receiving mark and no postage. My guess is that both your item and mine were used as items of convenience to communicate post office business (or close to official business) between employees of the Post Office. They probably went WITH the mails, but not IN the mails, so not counted in the volume of mail for the day.
Woodsdale Reg Env small.jpg
Woodsdale Reg Env small.jpg (93.17 KiB) Viewed 1699 times