Mt Lyell Railway: Queenstown-Regatta Point

Ron

Mt Lyell Railway: Queenstown-Regatta Point

#1 Post by Ron » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:05 am

I presented a program a few years back on the postal history along the railway.
It was a combination of my photos along the right-of-way during a recent visit, images of old post cards, and a few images of postmarks, i.e. Teepookana.

I am now updating this presentation for a meeting of the Collectors Club of Denver (US) next month.

The first thing I am seeking is an accurate listing of the names of all the post offices and postmarks that served the railway and its extensions.

What I have was put together earlier without much research on my part, so this time I do not want to overlook some important detail, if possible.

Also, I would invite members to send me any digital images of postal or historical items related to the subject. Proper credit will be given to the TPS and to the generous contributors. My primary reference has have been Campbell and Ingles' two-volume History & Postal Markings plus back issues of the Courier as well as other sundry publications.

However my resources and knowledge are miniscule compared to the wealth of information and knowledge held by the TPS and its members.

Cheerio from Denver, Colorado

Ronald Hill (hillwright[at]mac.com)

Ross Ewington

Re: Mt Lyell Railway: Queenstown-Regatta Point

#2 Post by Ross Ewington » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:35 pm

Welcome to the TPS BB Ron!

Here is a map of the railway line from Queenstown to Regatta Point which I have 'lifted' from a postcard topic at http://tps.org.au/bb/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=323#p1412

[attachment=0]abt railway.jpg[/attachment]

There were post offices at all marked towns i.e. Regatta Point (1900-1964), Teepookana (three 'openings' and closures between 1895 and 1903), Lynchford (1899 - 1925)
and Queenstown (1896 - open). There were other post offices in the area through which the line was built such as at Rinadeena and Lynch's Creek but both these were long gone
when the railway line was opened.

There was also a post office at South Queenstown between 1949 and 1973 but I think it was always at a local shop and not at the railway station.

Mail to and from Camp Spur (a railway workers' settlement) can be found but there was never a receiving house or free bag operating at that location.
Attachments
abt railway.jpg
abt railway.jpg (12.56 KiB) Viewed 1790 times