Hobart 'L' in circle handstamp

Hobbit123

Hobart 'L' in circle handstamp

#1 Post by Hobbit123 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:14 am

I recently bought the cover illustrated from an EBay seller. It is, at first glance, a run of the mill 4d Chalon cover to Bethnal Green, London, sent in January 1856 and arriving in May of the same year. It is cancelled with a Hobart 68 and there is a third type Crowned Circle handstamp. The top has been trimmed slightly. What attracted my attention was the 'L' in circle that is clearly under the datestamp and so must have been applied in Hobart. The handstamp is clearly faded, so the original colour could have been green or red. If it was red, then the same pad as the datestamp has not been used as that is still clearly red.
L in circle plus Chalon.jpg
L in circle plus Chalon.jpg (42.12 KiB) Viewed 5038 times
My question is: can anyone identify the 'L' in circle handstamp or its purpose? I have consulted Rendall Askeland who does not know, and read through Tony Orchard's volumes on the Postal Acts and Regulations and can find no reference to any service that would require this handstamp.

The only thought is that it might relate to the mysterious 'Listed mail' service, about which I have no details, but which is the probable reason for the existence of the large 'L' at Launceston in 1905 that is on the 'Mrs Genders' cover (illustrated opposite page 34 of Part II of the Green Books). A number of modern (relatively) official covers are pre-printed with an 'L' in circle, so it must have some significance, but the meaning is hard to find. It has been suggested to me that 'Listed' mail is a special category of Registered mail, but I have no idea what the differences might be.

All sensible contributions gratefully received!

David McNamee

Re: Hobart 'L' in circle handstamp

#2 Post by David McNamee » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:18 am

Not a registration mark -- cover would not receive a registration mark unless it was registered in Tas, which in 1856 was prepaid by attaching adhesives. Likely a British marking, but I don't have the right reference books to confirm.

admin
Site Admin

#3 Post by admin » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:56 am

L-handstamp.jpg
L-handstamp.jpg (48.24 KiB) Viewed 5030 times
After a little searching I found this example from Canada dated 1855.
I will reproduce the item description below
"Canada, 1855, Jacques Cartier, 10d blue (Unitrade 7), ample to large margins, minor paper wrinkle, used with large margined 6d slate gray (5), tied by target cancels on 1855 envelope (red "Department of Instruction" embossed seal on flap) from Toronto to England readdressed internally, showing light Toronto origin c.d.s. and London "Paid/23 JY 23/1855" c.d.s. as well as matching "L" circular handstamp adjacent, various backstamps for London redirection and endorsed "Refused to be taken in at the Post Office 15 charged. Very Fine and rare example of the Crimean War rate. Scott 7." This is from a Stamp Auction Network on-line listing http://stampauctionnetwork.com/au/au33921.cfm
The notes do not tell us the purpose of the handstamp, but to my eyes it is the same as Patrick's example. It seems that its a London marking so at least we know, if it is the same, that it was not a Tasmanian hand stamp .

Hobbit123

#4 Post by Hobbit123 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:58 am

While I accept that the handstamp is like the one on the Canada cover, how does it get to be UNDER the Hobart Crowned Circle datestamp? Here is an enlarged scan of the 'offending' area.
Enlarged L in circle.jpg
Enlarged L in circle.jpg (686.43 KiB) Viewed 5022 times
Patrick

admin
Site Admin

#5 Post by admin » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:59 am

Its an interesting question. It does look as though the L" is underneath the Hobart Crown date stamp, but to my eyes its also possible that the ink used on the "L" is diluted and hence has some degree of transparency ( I mean it is "thin" and doesnt cover the more dense ink used on the Tasmanian hand stamp ) so it may have been applied later.Another Tasmanian example of the "L" would be very helpful?

Ross Ewington

#6 Post by Ross Ewington » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:25 pm

I asked RLA if he has any thoughts on the item. His very prompt response was:

"Having seen both sides of the cover, I also believe it is not a registration marking because the item was not registered. I also discount it being part of a T (taxed) marking. I believe it is likely to be a London marking, perhaps L for London Delivery? The "L" handstamp is in orange ink just like one of the London backstamps."

David McNamee

#7 Post by David McNamee » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:52 pm

Reference Alcock & Holland, Postmarks of Great Britain and Ireland (1942) pages 458-459 describe and illustrate the "L in Circle" we have been discussing. They state that this marking is known in red 1840-1854. Apparently there are numerous letters within circles, and the reasons for the markings are not known for certain. The "L" is speculated to be a forerunner of a Late marking on missorted mail. They state such marks could also be a certain clerk or certain office.

In any case, the example shown on Tassie mail extends the known period of marking by 2 years -- unless someone else has written it up since 1942.

Hobbit123

#8 Post by Hobbit123 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:46 am

David

Thank you for providing the necessary reference. I shall not be visiting the Royal for another couple of weeks, so you have saved me the work of looking it up. I think I am now happy with the explanation and accept that it is a London mark. Pooling knowledge works well!

Patrick