"Same Day Messages" by Mail - Post Yours Here

Ross Ewington

"Same Day Messages" by Mail - Post Yours Here

#1 Post by Ross Ewington » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:50 pm

Every once in a while I come across a postcard or postal card forwarded with a message
intended to be read by the addressee on the day of posting.

This example "passed over" my desk today....
interesting use of 1d postal card.jpg
interesting use of 1d postal card.jpg (171.1 KiB) Viewed 1510 times
Mailed in a Hobart street letter box and transmitted via the BELLERIVE PO on the same day (August 22nd),
the message indicates that the sender would arrive from the city on the 5 o'clock ferry. (for non Tasmanian
members, Bellerive is adjacent to Hobart approx. 1km across the Derwent River/harbour. Ferries were the
only means of public transport across the river at the time and a bridge crossing was not achieved until the
1940s)

Very few people had there own telephones in those days and it was possible to rely on this means of prompt
communication in Hobart and Launceston and some of the largest town.

I have seen messages on post cards such as "Dear Rose, Home about 7, please keep supper hot. ... yours, Arthur".

It is notable that this card appears to indicate that there was an afternoon mail delivery in Bellerive which
was more of a small village rather than the 'pricey' inner suburb (with a fabulous view of Hobart and the harbour)
that it is today.

If you have any similar items, please post them in this topic.

FOOTNOTE: yes, the addressee was one of "The Kermodes" - Edith Mabel Kermode was a sister to William Archer Kermode,
WWI Military Cross winner and quite a well-known book illustrator and graphic artist (he designed posters for the London
Underground during the 1920s) in his day. As to Edith ...I'll see if she gets "a mention" anywhere and report back.