Packet Label with more to pay

Lars Peter Svendsen

Packet Label with more to pay

#1 Post by Lars Peter Svendsen » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:35 am

I have in my exhibit a nice little Packet Label with a pair of one penny side face, De la Rue issue.

I have done my best to describe the the item with the possible rate and time period. I would be pleased if anyone could help me to verify my statement or give me another good explanation about rate and time period for the item.

The text in my exhibit is as followed:

Pair of one penny De La Rue printing canceled with barred numeral 101, Sheffield on Packet Label from SHEFFIELD, 16 SP, ?, TASMANIA to Launceston. Exact dating is not possible, but if it was sent between 1891 and 1905 the packet rate was 1 d. per 2 ounces. In Launceston the label was hand stamped with circular D, MORE TO PAY (known from 6 Dec. 1898 to 20 Feb. 1905) with a hand written 8, which indicate that the Packet must have been weighting 10-12 ounces to match 2 d. (paid) plus 4 d. + 4 d. fine.
Attachments
Back
Back
Sideface 2d and 8d more to pay 2.jpg (56.12 KiB) Viewed 8165 times
Front
Front
Sideface 2d and 8d more to pay 1.jpg (98.26 KiB) Viewed 8165 times

admin
Site Admin

Re: Packet Label with more to pay

#2 Post by admin » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:23 pm

Lars,
This looks correct to me, though you may like confirmation from someone with more Postal History experience than I.
The only issue I can see is that the "More to Pay" handstamp is one of two types ( as you most likely know) and according to Patrick Reid's BSAP Bulletin of 2008, the period of use is 12/4/98 to 7/01/1911 for the Launceston type which does not have a small bar under the "D".
Personally I think you can safely assume the date would be no later than sometime 1900, as from late 1900 the use of a barred numeral would not have occurred in virtually any post office: the postmaster would have used the circular date stamp to cancel the stamps. I also think its probably a bit earlier than late 1900. Pictorials would have been used at the post office from early 1900 rather than sidefaces, though perhaps it was franked with a personal supply of older stamps by the sender. I'd guess you could date it from April '98 to early 1900 with a reasonable certainty it fell between the two.
Very nice Postal History item

Lars Peter Svendsen

#3 Post by Lars Peter Svendsen » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:59 am

Thanks for the reply. Your informations limit the time period significantly. Lars Peter

Hobbit123

#4 Post by Hobbit123 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:06 am

Lars Peter

The label is familiar, as I think it was in my collection at one time. I think I collected it as it was the highest value of "MORE TO PAY" that I had found for the Launceston handstamp. Is there not even a vague impression of the year date in the cds that you can find ?

Patrick