Blue ink CDS on Burnie Type 1a cds with circle stops

John Campton

Blue ink CDS on Burnie Type 1a cds with circle stops

#1 Post by John Campton » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:06 pm

The "Green Books" and Hardinge do not note this particular CDS as having been struck in blue ink on Pictorials. Other Burnie CDS are noted as such and I was very pleased to recently acquire an example of this R rated Pictorial CDS in bright blue. However it did need some cleaning of adherences and I did the usual cleaning process that has worked on all my other Pictorial CDS.

I had cleaned "thousands" with success but here is the steep learning curve that took me by surprise. DONT WASH THEM!!!!

I had not had to clean any of my other blue Pictorial CDS eg Penguin, Guilford Junction etc so this was a first.

The tip is all other CDS are protected by their "all weather" postal formula of lamp black and linseed oil as a binder/protector. The blue ink does not have this protection.

From my old school days before biros I used blue ink and it is in the most part water soluble. I should have remembered this. And yes I am a fossil!

Most of the bright blue ink is gone and only an off grey CDS impression is left where the ink has stained the stamp. Hope someone out there has a Burnie Type 1a with circle stops in blue ink to prove that they do exist.

Live and learn and an old dog has learnt a new trick. Woof.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Blue ink CDS on Burnie Type 1a cds with circle stops

#2 Post by admin » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:16 pm

Thanks for the tip.
I have not seen this cds in blue though I have seen a lot i the standard black so i expect is is quite scarce.
I wonder if the occasional grey ink I have seen on cds from the early 20th C were originally blue but have lost colour as they were soaked from their envelope clipping.

John Campton

#3 Post by John Campton » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:06 pm

Well it does raise a few questions but not a lot of answers at this stage. Perhaps someone with more experience can help.

And thanks!!! it is nice to know that it was (and still is now due to my actions) scarce. Still kicking myself.

There are a couple of scenarios. If they were running low on ink they could add some fountain pen ink (water soluble in part) to the already "dry" ink pad that may have a residual ink trace with linseed oil. This combination could in itself give a greyish ink with a "locking" property keeping a permanent grey.Especially after washing.

A smart cookie in the PMG may have had linseed and no lamp black and added blue ink and linseed to make a permanent blue (I wish they had!).

Would say there many convolutions but overall they just added fountain pen ink to the pad. Had a lot of experience of this as a bank teller (in years of yore) and a controller of stores and supplier of ink within the bank. God help you if you got it wrong in those days.

Lets see what others have to say but beware the washing of blue ink CDS. Caveat emptor. We should have a small section in each Courier with helpful hints on stamp care. Who knows how much is lost in the learning by mistakes method.

admin
Site Admin

#4 Post by admin » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:46 pm

John,
We could usefully include something in the next Courier about this potential danger and at the same time ask people if anyone has any examples of the blue ink cds ( or others - would be an interesting angle to explore.)
Pete

John Campton

#5 Post by John Campton » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:56 am

Pete do you want me to do a bit of research on this and put a small article together as a filler if required?

John Hardinge

#6 Post by John Hardinge » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:54 pm

Yes, this can be a bit of a trap. Whilst some blue ink used later on in the 1910's-20's period clearly is not water soluble, a lot of the pictorial era stuff is not. I reckon you are right-fountain pen ink or similar. The origin of some of the "washed out" grey cancels may well have been originally blue. BTW, I have not seen too many "blue" Burnies, sorry to say

John Campton

#7 Post by John Campton » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:00 pm

Yes thanks John. I will have to use my memory and be another old bloke and say "I can remember when" I had a Blue Burnie Type 1a.

Just looking at a bulk lot now and while many are nondescipt as far as CDS strike is concerned I have noted some that have appeared to have been floated off, washed and hinged ,possibly by the original collector, have had blue ink runs. These are very similar to fountain ink runs for those that remember doing homework in ink and getting water on it in the playground finishing it off before class.

In amongst these are some grey strikes and I wonder if these were a mix of thr original "recipe" mixed with blue ink when they were running low on lamp black. This would give it some adherence but the blue could wash out to leave a residual grey that we all know.

This may sound a little daft but I might try a couple of experiments using blue fountain pen ink I have and I will try and get some lamp black. I have linseed oil. Does anyone have the original recipe. I intend to try it out on some Pictorials that have no or little value to see what the end result is. Will take scans of before and after.

If anyone has the ink or the recpie please leave me a message.