End of the Hobart first allocation numerals

John Hardinge

End of the Hobart first allocation numerals

#1 Post by John Hardinge » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:23 pm

Just a call out for dates. In January 1861 the first allocation numerals in use at Hobart, namely 61, 64, 74, 75 were replaced by the barred obliterators. What are the latest dates known of the numerals and the earliest of the barred obliterators?

Jerry Weirich

Re: End of the Hobart first allocation numerals

#2 Post by Jerry Weirich » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:15 pm

John -- I just started keeping a database of scans of first allocation covers. Here are the last first allocation dates that I have recorded for the Hobart BN's you listed, plus BN62. I'm sure these can be beat, but it's a start!
BN61 -- 31 Dec 1858
BN62 -- 13 Mar 1860
BN64 -- 31 Dec 1858 (maybe, year is per auction catalog description). I'm confident of the next latest date 27 Sep 1858.
BN74 -- 24 Mar 1860
BN75 -- 22 Aug 1859

Can't help you with earliest barred obliterators because I haven't been keeping track of them. Jerry

John Hardinge

#3 Post by John Hardinge » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:51 pm

Thanks Jerry, earliest barred obliterator I have is 4 Jan 1861, very early. Whilst we are on First allocation numerals, I have never seen the following on cover- 17,29, 30, 37, 65, 66. IN addition, I have never seen the following on cover either: : Leipzig, Tinder Box Bay, Eastern Marshes, Cambridge, Clarence Plains, Muddy Plains, Peppermint Bay, Great Swanport, Douglas River, Victoria, Port Esperance, South Arm, Jerusalem Lower, Brushy Plains, Little Swanport, Cressy, Kensington, Fenton Forest, Sandspit, Southport, Recherche Bay, Strathblane, Tamar West, Nash Court, Maria Island, Apslawn, Leven, Mount Direction, Swansea, Tenby, Mount Esk, Queensborough, Epping, Huon Track, Latrobe, Black Brush, Broadmarsh Upper and Broadmarsh Lower.

Something to look out for.

Jerry Weirich

#4 Post by Jerry Weirich » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:48 am

John -- I do have a cover front with Swansea used as manuscript cancellation and not as an endorsement (although it serves the same purpose) from Nov 1859. Although it is hard to know if it is different from Waterloo Point since that post office also endorsed as Swansea, I'm considering it as different since it's not an endorsement but a cancellation. Your thoughts would be welcome. Also, have you seen any first allocation covers from Waterloo Point that are endorsed Waterloo Point? (I have not.) Thanks, Jerry
I planned on showing a scan of the cover front but the website is not allowing me to post it. It does not exceed the size restrictions but when I figure out the problem, I'll post it.

John Hardinge

#5 Post by John Hardinge » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:23 am

Jerry I am inclined to believe it to. When you look at a known 1854 cover from Swansea the endorsement on that is a completely different hand to the 1859 cover. Now there was no change of postmaster in that time, so that makes it quite likely. The absence of a numeral endorsement clinches it I would say.

admin
Site Admin

#6 Post by admin » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:14 pm

Posted on behalf of Jerry Weirich ( many thanks Jerry).

Pete
swansea-resized.jpg
swansea-resized.jpg (108.75 KiB) Viewed 2102 times

admin
Site Admin

#7 Post by admin » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:55 pm

This may be a little off track.
LRD for Torquay manuscript cancel or at least thats what the write-up on the page says. The date is 21/2/61.
Torquay-LRD-Mss-cancel.jpg
Torquay-LRD-Mss-cancel.jpg (188.27 KiB) Viewed 2086 times

admin
Site Admin

#8 Post by admin » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:08 pm

ERD - use of Hobart Obliterator. I have 23 Jan 1861 on a cover to UK, written up as the ERD, but obviously its not.
I just put it up for the record.
Pete

admin
Site Admin

#9 Post by admin » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:34 pm

John Hardinge wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:51 pm
Thanks Jerry, earliest barred obliterator I have is 4 Jan 1861, very early. Whilst we are on First allocation numerals, I have never seen the following on cover- 17,29, 30, 37, 65, 66. IN addition, I have never seen the following on cover either: : Leipzig, Tinder Box Bay, Eastern Marshes, Cambridge, Clarence Plains, Muddy Plains, Peppermint Bay, Great Swanport, Douglas River, Victoria, Port Esperance, South Arm, Jerusalem Lower, Brushy Plains, Little Swanport, Cressy, Kensington, Fenton Forest, Sandspit, Southport, Recherche Bay, Strathblane, Tamar West, Nash Court, Maria Island, Apslawn, Leven, Mount Direction, Swansea, Tenby, Mount Esk, Queensborough, Epping, Huon Track, Latrobe, Black Brush, Broadmarsh Upper and Broadmarsh Lower.

Something to look out for.
John, regarding your second group I assume you mean Second Allocation BNS?
If so, I am using Victoria on cover, both cds nd BN as an illustration for Chapter "V" of the Book.
I have also seen Tinderbox Bay, 90, on cover. It came into David Newell's Shop at some stage and ended up in a Cavandish auction but was then lost in the mail as it went to the Buyer.
If you are interested in the Victoria I can send you the revised Chap "V" from the listings. I think it was added very late in the piece.
PS - have just located my Fenton Forrest BN on cover and can post that.
If you are interested I will start a new thread as they dont really belong here.
Pete

John Hardinge

#10 Post by John Hardinge » Tue May 08, 2018 8:54 am

Peter, any use of the barred obliterator in January 1861 is good. I guess I am wondering if it goes into December 1860.

IN regards the office I listed as "never seen", I mean never seen in the first allocation period.