hobart town

neal w

hobart town

#1 Post by neal w » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:30 am

hi just joined under the instruction of ross who said its very easy neal , well its taken around 2 hours to get to here lol followed the link to posting a pic and here i am. probably in the wrong place and talking to the wrong person, bit its a start and maybe get somewhere from here. have attached a pic hobart town which i have tried to find in the hardinge bib le and can,t make heads or tails from it and even ross was unclear thats why he directed me here. if anyone can help would be muchly appreciated. cheers neal
Attachments
s-l500.jpg
s-l500.jpg (10.21 KiB) Viewed 1073 times

admin
Site Admin

Re: hobart town

#2 Post by admin » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:37 pm

Hi Neal, glad you finally made it to the Board!
What you have is half of a duplex, the other half showing three bars top and bottom with TASMANIA in the middle. For some reason, it was common practice to place one half or the other of the duplex over the stamp. When the stamp is removed from the cover, half of the duplex disappears leaving what seems to be a single cds. As such is not a rare item unfortunately.
This is Duplex 1(i) in John's book, at the bottom of p246 I think, fig 70 in the Green Books.

There is a 4R cds that is superficially similar with nothing at the base, HOBART-TOWN at the top. This can be distinguished from the duplex cds by the presence of a dash between HOBART and TOWN. This cds seems to be used as a back stamp and why a stand-alone cds would not have TASMANIA at the bottom is a bit of a mystery. While the HOBART-TOWN cds is 4R, I suspect its more common than that as its usually on the back of the cover and Hobart cds are quite often not thoroughly studied by collectors so may get missed. While Johns book quotes two copies known, I have seen two others. Its Cds 1(i) in Johns new book p 241.
I wrote an article in Courier No 59 June 2015 on this and a few other Hobart cds. There are images of both the Duplex and the HOBART-TOWN cds.

Pete

neal w

Re: hobart town

#3 Post by neal w » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:33 pm

thankyou for the info and the help, am a bit wiser, any info is greatly appreciated.only started collecting tas about 2yrs ago have compiled quite a collection in a short space of time, have bought about 50% from TPS auctions , i have been collecting WA type 3 and A,B,C,D cancels which i have quite an extensive collection. so always on the lookout for either.very happy with info as got it for a very good price lol.thanks again neal