Launceston Code K Cancel Variety

Jerry Weirich

Launceston Code K Cancel Variety

#1 Post by Jerry Weirich » Wed Jul 12, 2023 10:28 pm

A Launceston CDS Type 1(iv) [Hardinge, The Post Offices and their Datestamps, p.255] has been found with code K reversed and inverted. To the best of my knowledge, this is the first example of this variety. I did not find any reference to this variety in Hardinge or the "Green" books. I also emailed John Hardinge who indicated that he had not seen this variety previously. There are probably more out there waiting to be found, so let the search begin!
Launceston K [1(iv)] 1906-01-19 (K reversed & inverted).jpg
Launceston K [1(iv)] 1906-01-19 (K reversed & inverted).jpg (184.72 KiB) Viewed 6002 times

John Campton

Re: Launceston Code K Cancel Variety

#2 Post by John Campton » Thu Jul 13, 2023 11:27 am

Hi Jerry,

I had to have a think about this one but I think that the code is just inverted as it is not possible to reverse a code. Tried it on paper before replying.

This code is not symmetrical and the lower stroke of the "K" extends from the upper stroke of "K" near the downstroke. Inverting the code by turning either left or right gives the same result.

Currently reviewing all Hobart and Launceston cds on the Pictorial series of stamps and have not seen this error before and have noted my records. Thanks for putting it on the Bulletin Board.

Have attached an inverted code "7" used in the same cds type to prove they are out there.
Launceston T1(iv) Unrecorded code 7 inverted.jpg
Launceston T1(iv) Unrecorded code 7 inverted.jpg (72.58 KiB) Viewed 5997 times

Jerry Weirich

Re: Launceston Code K Cancel Variety

#3 Post by Jerry Weirich » Fri Jul 14, 2023 2:37 am

John -- You are correct. I actually tried it on paper myself because it was confusing, but I made the mistake of turning the paper over when I did the inversion which meant I needed to also reverse it to get the right K orientation. Sorry for the confusion. The inverted K on type 1(iv) is still noteworthy all by itself.

I also apologize to John Hardinge. I was not trying to imply he endorsed inverted and reversed, only that he had not seen the variety. In fact, his response to my email only mentions inverted. I did not pick up on his silence on "reversed" was a no.