2nd Allocation Bishopsbourne Manuscript

Jerry Weirich

2nd Allocation Bishopsbourne Manuscript

#1 Post by Jerry Weirich » Wed Nov 01, 2023 1:48 pm

I recently purchased a Second Allocation Bishopsbourne manuscript "No 4" marking on eBay. I was surprised that I was the only bidder. Sure, the stamp does not look very good and has essentially no margins but how often do you see this particular postal manuscript. The seller did offer it as a fiscal cancel so that probably prevented some collectors from bidding. Nevertheless, this is actually a fairly scarce postal marking. After receiving it, I tried to research the marking in various references (Hardinge, Green books, parts I and II, and The Courier) to find the reason that the postmaster had to resort to canceling with a pen. Again, to my surprise, I did not find any reference to it. It seems there may have been no more bids because collectors may not be aware of the marking. I decided to create this post to inform other collectors about it. I did have the benefit of recognizing the manuscript because I also have a cover with the same marking, and in what appears to be the same handwriting. The cover is endorsed "Bishopsbourne 19/3/63" and has a large red Launceston diamond and crown marking dated 20 MR 1863 on reverse. These are the only examples that I have seen. (Note: The Bishopsbourne Post Office received second allocation barred numeral 4 in early March 1861. It's possible that this manuscript was used as an interim between barred numeral 4 cancelers which suggests there may be two types of cancelers. Since the manuscript was used in 1863, the first type may be rare because of a more limited use period.)
Bishopsbourne 2nd Allocation mss.jpg
Bishopsbourne 2nd Allocation mss.jpg (133.75 KiB) Viewed 5914 times
Bishopsbourne 1863-03-19.jpg
Bishopsbourne 1863-03-19.jpg (176.74 KiB) Viewed 5914 times

John Hardinge

Re: 2nd Allocation Bishopsbourne Manuscript

#2 Post by John Hardinge » Thu Nov 02, 2023 1:55 pm

I surely would have bid on it if I had seen it Jerry. What a great item!