Tasmanian Pictorial CDS-an alternate rating scale

John Hardinge

Tasmanian Pictorial CDS-an alternate rating scale

#1 Post by John Hardinge » Wed May 30, 2012 11:53 am

Fair call to say that the collecting of postmarks on pictorial stamps of Tasmania both provide the highest degree of interest of any area of marcophily in Australia and that they command the highest prices as a result. It has been 37 years since the rating of the pictorial period were really looked at seriously. I freely discount Keith Lancasters otherwise excellent work on the pictorial stamps of Tasmania as Keith never wanted to comment on postmarks let alone ratings at all in that book but was persuaded to do so.

Because of their popularity and the prices commanded there has been a school of thought for some time that the rating need to be "finer" and that the gap between classifications are quite large. ie Liena is rated RRRR yet never commands much more than $400 at auction. Teepookana is rated RRRR yet brings $1500+. There are also some notable over ratings and a few CDS that are certainly deserving of rating yet have not been rated previously. I some cases, the rating as originally stated in book 1 have stood up. I have rated the CDS on a two point scale, firstly a rating scale from 1-20 in increasing scarcity. These ratings sit inside the standard R-RRRR ratings scale. ie ratings 16, 17 and 18 are all RRRR, with 18 at the higher end of RRRR and 16 at the lower end. I have added a RRRRR rating for the really top end CDS and ratings of S(scarce) and U(uncommon) that sit below R.

The most important thing is to garner peoples thoughts and feedback, so we can see what people who collect this material and buy and sell it think, both about the layout of this rarity scale and also the ratings as they apply. This will help us refine it. So be free with both your thoughts, encouragement and (definitely) criticism. I welcome it all.

The ratings and preamble as listed currently may be accessed at the following links:

http://www.tps.org.au/PDFs/Pict_cds_rat ... tes-wm.pdf

http://www.tps.org.au/PDFs/Pict_cds_rat ... ril-wm.pdf

John Campton

Re: Tasmanian Pictorial CDS-an alternate rating scale

#2 Post by John Campton » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:39 pm

John you have done an superb job on a new/alternative rating system. A lot of thought and effort as well as enthusiasm went into it. Enthusiasm should not be scoffed at just because of a variation of views. Without new effort nothing changes and stagnation sets in..controversy is good if discussed constructively.

I am still absorbing all that is in it and at this stage find that it has many positive aspects not covered by others. It appears more precise and with added detail eg possibility of getting good strikes etc.

I am still new to collecting pictorial postmarks compared to others but I have my own views on "retirement" dates for inclusion on the rarity list, but they fall in line with your thoughts in the most part.

Looking forward to discussing it with you when my apprenticeship in this aspect of collecting appears to be served.

If you agree I would like a copy to read and keep for reference. Will catch up with you at the next meeting. Regards John Campton

John Hardinge

#3 Post by John Hardinge » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:09 pm

Thanks for the reply. I have been working hard with a few others well known people in the field and have made a few modifications, but it's really great to get feedback. I must admit I expected a bit more from people. I think this gives a finer idea of what is really rare.

John Campton

#4 Post by John Campton » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:10 pm

Perhaps they do not know how to navigate the site, log on, or know that you really do want feedback. After 72 views you would anticipate much more feedback (positive or negative). Perhaps it just needs encouraging. Regards JC

territorian1

#5 Post by territorian1 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:56 pm

I really like your innovative rating scale John! The point system in conjunction with colour coding, make this very easy for quickly identifying the rating of a cancellation. I'm sure that you are going to 'ruffle the feathers' of those Tasmanian postmark collectors who have depended so long on the 'Green Books' and later 'Lancaster'. I particularly like the way that you have considered the relative scarcity of the previously 'unrated' cancels. Now we can see those cancels that are somewhat scarcer than the real common ones, and this will help collectors to devise an accurate pricing system. I truly hope that your revolutionary rating system will gain acceptance with Tasmanian postmark collectors, as you have obviously contributed much research and thought in coming up with your final listing! Well done!