First Allocation Numerals in RED

David McNamee

First Allocation Numerals in RED

#1 Post by David McNamee » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:22 pm

Until recently, the literature had identified only 3 instances of First Allocation Barred Numerals in red: BN48 on Chalon 1d, BN60 on Chalon 4d and BN62 on Chalon 6d. These are illustrated here:
BN 48 RED on 1d.jpg
BN 48 RED on 1d.jpg (44.11 KiB) Viewed 3307 times
BN 60 in RED.jpg
BN 60 in RED.jpg (92.69 KiB) Viewed 3307 times
BN 62 in RED.jpg
BN 62 in RED.jpg (43.31 KiB) Viewed 3307 times
On EBay in November 2012, a new example was illustrated, BN48 in red on 4d Chalon.
BN 48 RED on 4d.jpg
BN 48 RED on 4d.jpg (44.28 KiB) Viewed 3307 times
I just wanted to bring the record up to date, as well as remind my colleagues that in spite of 160 years, new findings can be discovered in Tasmanian adhesives.

admin
Site Admin

Re: First Allocation Numerals in RED

#2 Post by admin » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:39 pm

Thank you David.
I have always wondered if there is any reason known for the use of red ink for these cancels?
Or perhaps its more a case that a Post Office Official just happened to chose to use red ink on his stamp pad ?
Also, I dont recall seeing the use of red ink throuhg the second allocation period and its only in the Commonwealth period that a variety of purple, grey, violet and other inks appear, again for no apparent reason? Is this the case or have I missed something?
There is the famous case of the first newspaper revenue tax stamp usually being in red with black the rarer colour, but again I have never seen any logical explanation for this.
To me, the use of red ink would be much more significant if there was some purpose behind it.
Pete

David McNamee

#3 Post by David McNamee » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:56 am

These cancels are so rare that they should be considered abnormal. They are only known during the First Allocation period for Hobart and Launceston because those offices were the only offices with red ink pads. One can imagine a scenario with the PO Clerk processing outgoing ship letter (Hobart) or incoming ship letter (Launceston) which are both red markings when someone walks up to the window with a letter to mail, and the PO Clerk hits the wrong ink pad by accident. I do not attach any significance to the use of red ink, but these are rare markings nonetheless.

paulsozstates

#4 Post by paulsozstates » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:46 am

What did it sell for on ebay David?

Amazing find.

David McNamee

#5 Post by David McNamee » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:16 pm

US$70. Probably worth 3x that -- I just did not think anyone else would recognize the significance of the red ink, so that is a lesson for me!