Tablet - Interlaken datestamp - Manuscript date

Revenuer

Tablet - Interlaken datestamp - Manuscript date

#1 Post by Revenuer » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:40 pm

Thought this may be worth recording here.

Dave
Screen Shot 2013-04-30 at 12.31.13 PM.png
Screen Shot 2013-04-30 at 12.31.13 PM.png (113.25 KiB) Viewed 1325 times
Please visit my oz revenues web site: http://www.ozrevenues.com and don't forget "Illegitimi non carborundum"

admin
Site Admin

Re: Tablet - Interlaken datestamp - Manuscript date

#2 Post by admin » Thu May 02, 2013 6:39 pm

Thanks Dave,
I've seen various dates showing part of the date in ms - looks like the post office eventually lost all the date slugs for their canceller.

Jerry Weirich

#3 Post by Jerry Weirich » Fri May 10, 2013 8:26 pm

Dave -- This looks like a revenue rather than postal cancel. I can't find an example of a postal cancel but while it looks very similar, there are differences in the canceller type particularly with the star below name and TASMANIA at bottom. Thoughts? Jerry

admin
Site Admin

#4 Post by admin » Fri May 10, 2013 11:21 pm

Gerry, Dave's example is the type 1b cds issued 1887-1890 as part of a batch of 40 - see Courier No 53, p 17.
It seems the date slugs were all lost at some stage and the postmaster resorted to manuscript dates which look exactly like Stamp Duty cancells, except they are located in the centre of the cds where the date should be.
Here are a couple of other examples on Pictorials. I wonder if anyone has an example of Interlacken with the date slugs intact, or if there are any examples with partial date slugs ?
As far as I know this is the only PO where all date slugs were lost. there are a fair number of manuscript day, month or year seen on cds of this period but not a complete date?
Interlacken.jpg
Interlacken.jpg (277.26 KiB) Viewed 1293 times

Jerry Weirich

#5 Post by Jerry Weirich » Sun May 12, 2013 11:15 am

Thanks for the clarification. I looked at Courier No 53. Unfortunately I was hoping to see a picture of a cancel from the first (?) batch of these towns. So just to make sure I have this correct, are you saying there are 2 types of the Type 1b cancel?? The first type (shown above with the INTERLAKEN cancels) have TASMANIA in a large font and the star's rays don't meet at the center. This was the first type of Type 1b cancels issued as the first batch. The second type of 1b cancels has the TASMANIA in a smaller font and the rays of the star meet in the center. These were issued in the second batch of Type 1b cancels. Do I have this correct?? I must admit that I never realized there were 2 types of the Type 1b cancels.

admin
Site Admin

#6 Post by admin » Sun May 12, 2013 12:29 pm

Gerry,
I dont think the Type bs are subdivided. I'm away from my collection and records at the moment but I'll check when I get home about the font for Tasmania. Some of this batch had the star removed too to make things more confusing.
I should add there are of course may variations of font type and size within the "type" catagories but the post mark Taxonomists have not taken the classification system down to that level. There is probably lots of scope to do some work on this (I know Some postmark collectors would have their own private categorisation)