CORRECTIONS & ADDITIONS POSTMARKS on PICTORIALS COURIER 58

Ross Ewington

CORRECTIONS & ADDITIONS POSTMARKS on PICTORIALS COURIER 58

#1 Post by Ross Ewington » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:43 pm

Hopefully, now the new listing of postmarks on Pictorials has been published in The Courier No.58, lots of new information will be forthcoming. Also, there may be a need to record any errors which then can be transcribed into collector's copies of the journal.

Therefore, I have commenced this topic and invite collectors to submit any errors and/or new information - where necessary, images will be essential ...especially if the poster feels that they have made a 'discovery'.
It is also important to quote the page number(s) where the error or new information needs to be amended/added.

Please note that this topic is not to be used for discussion re the publication itself - please post comments and opinions about the postmark listing in an appropriate topic or commence a new one.

On a regular basis, I will add posted information to the list below in this first post so it's all in one place. Please note that additional or differing information will not be transferred to this master list until the approval of John Hardinge has been received.

ADDENDA & CORRIGENDA - "A GUIDE TO CIRCULAR DATESTAMPS ON THE TASMANIAN PICTORIAL ISSUES 1899 - 1913" by JOHN HARDINGE

(PUBLISHED IN "THE COURIER" No.58 - DECEMBER 2014)

PAGE SIX

Late date for GLAZIERS BAY Type 2 should read "4/9/1908"

PAGE TEN

BADEN - add to notes column "Manuscript cancel known dated 11.9.1902" (see http://tps.org.au/bb/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=255#p5075 )

PAGE SIXTEEN

Late date for GLAZIERS BAY Type 2 should read "4.9.1908"

PAGE TWENTY-FOUR

"Midddlsex Plains" should read "Middlesex Plains"

PAGE THIRTY

In case you are wondering where the listing for STRAHAN No.2 is, you may like to add to your 'notes' column that this datestamp used at STRAHAN WEST

John Hardinge

Re: CORRECTIONS & ADDITIONS POSTMARKS on PICTORIALS COURIE

#2 Post by John Hardinge » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:53 pm

Glaziers Bay Type 2 Page 6 and Page 16. late date should be 4.9.1908.

Not a correction, but an addition recently discovered by Ross Ewington. Baden manuscript can be added to the list of manuscript CDS known.

Ross Ewington

#3 Post by Ross Ewington » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:51 pm

There are only 4 known examples of ORRVILLE and all are poor strikes

I suggest that the rating being 'improved' by adding '**' to the numerical rating i.e. rating to appear as RRRRR(20**)

Also, '4 known examples' to be added to the Remarks column.

Caddyman

#4 Post by Caddyman » Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:52 pm

Hi all,

This is my first post here after the introduction, so I hope I am doing things correctly.

I bought a copy of The Courier #58 and I have found an earlier usage of the Type 3 TPO No. 4 cancel. The early date is listed as 3.7.1912 (Page 31).

I have a lot more pictorials to go through, so hopefully I will find something else to share.

Ron
TPO.jpg
TPO.jpg (942.21 KiB) Viewed 4074 times

admin
Site Admin

Re: CORRECTIONS & ADDITIONS POSTMARKS on PICTORIALS COURIER 58

#5 Post by admin » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:26 pm

Well done. Great job with the image too.
Thats an ERD by nearly 14 months!

Ross Ewington

#6 Post by Ross Ewington » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:41 pm

suggested amendment to remarks column for Osterley South (Page 26)

Town Name on datestamp reads "Osterly South".

John Hardinge

#7 Post by John Hardinge » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:34 pm

Whilst the 1911 date would undoubtedly be the early date by 14 months, this CDS cannot exist in 1911 as the issue of such CDS did not begin until Jan 1912. More likely, it is an early date indeed, probably caused by the CDS being issued with the manufacturers date setting and not being "rolled on" to the correct date or, the year is meant to read 1912. Either is possible although the first is more likely.